Are you looking for a way to volunteer in your community and have a direct impact on families in the hospital setting?
During my 15 years at JoyRx, the mission delivery of Children’s Cancer Association, I am amazed every day at the incredible people that walk through our doors and give their time and talents so generously. We couldn’t offer our Joy-based programs without our incredible volunteers.
We are currently looking for volunteers for two incredible and unique opportunities!
JoyRx Mentorship Program
Our JoyRx Mentors foster trusted companionship to inspire laughter and distraction. The only program of its kind in the nation, our trained, adult volunteer Mentors provide emotional support to children and teens in treatment and critical support to parents who endure the hardship of long hospital stays with their children.
These volunteers come from all walks of life and backgrounds. Some of the requirements for this volunteer position are:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to make a one-year commitment from the time they are matched
- Have a flexible daytime schedule, Monday – Friday
- Commit to spending six to eight hours per month with their mentee
- Complete a thorough screening and paperwork process to ensure they can be a healthy, safe, and supportive mentor (screening includes FBI-based background check, interview, reference checks, health and safety tests, immunization requirements, and more)
- A desire to have FUN and be a supportive friend to a child in treatment
Bill Grange, JoyRx Mentor for 16 years, recently shared: “There is no greater Joy than walking into a hospital room and seeing a child’s face light up with a smile when they see you and bag full of games, crafts, and toys. Those few hours you spend laughing, playing, or simply talking with them are priceless!”
We provide custom training and support throughout the length of our mentor matches to ensure success and have seen lives be forever changed by being a part of this program.
JoyRx Music Volunteer
Our JoyRx Music program draws on the universal appeal of music to energize and lift spirits, enabling children and teens to feel Joy during the stressful and painful experiences related to extended hospitalizations.
Our Music Volunteers are a critical piece of this program as they infuse the hospital lobbies and hallways with music. This truly transforms the hospital environment for kids, families, and staff from the moment they enter the building.
These volunteers are skilled musicians willing to share their talents in a hospital setting. Some of the requirements for this volunteer position are:
- Be able to play two hours of music repertoire (looping one hour is acceptable)
- Be sensitive to the hospital environment and able to play music appropriate for all audiences and at a low volume
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Commit to at least one year of volunteering
- Be available for two shifts per month; shift options are as follows:
- Doernbecher Children’s Hospital: Monday or Wednesday, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm or 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanual: Tuesday or Thursday, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm or 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Complete a thorough screening and paperwork process to ensure they are safe to be in a hospital setting (screening includes a musical audition, background check, interview, health and safety tests, immunization requirements, and more)
Our music volunteers are an incredible group of talented musicians that truly make a difference in the hospital.
Be a JoyRx Volunteer Today!
You can be a Joy Maker for kids who need a trusted friend or a healing musical moment. We have been told many times that our volunteers end up getting more from this opportunity than they give.
Join the JoyRx community today and make a Joyful difference for seriously ill kids, teens, and their families! For questions or more information, please reach out to me directly at KSmerke@JoyRx.org.